My son mentioned to me last night that his arms and legs were itchy.

Patient: My son mentioned to me last night that his arms and legs were itchy. Then this morning, the itching persisted, and seems to have increased in intensity. I do not see any signs on his skin like a rash, mosquito bite like welts, or any redness or swelling that might look like scabies. I’d like to figure out what might be causing it, and how to get him some relief. We’ve tried some 1% hydrocortisone ointment, and some topical Benedryl spray – neither of which of worked to his satisfaction.

Doctor: Greetings.

How old is he?

Did he come in contact with plants/vegetation?

Is his urine dark yellow?

Dr. Karen

Patient: He is 15. I don’t know the answer to the other two questions. The plants are possible but unlikely. I’ll call him quickly to find out for sure

Patient: Hi Dr. Karen,

Scott says “no” to both the vegetation question and the urine question.

Doctor: Hello,

This is likely to be an allergic phenomenon. Local application usually are not much helpful in this still you can try calamine lotion for the itching. Give Kai Benadryl tablet, instead of spray, which should be helpful. If he does not respond to it, Kai may need prescription anti-allergic medication like cetirizine.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Karen

Patient: Thank you for the benefit of your expertise, Dr. Karen. I have one further, quick question. Is there any possibility the cause for the allergic reaction could be mold? We live in a very humid place and have been struggling with controlling mold. Though we’ve been here for over a year and to this point he has not exhibited any other allergic symptoms to mold, I’m wondering if perhaps his immune system has reached its limit?

Doctor: Hello,

You are most welcome.

Though mold can be considered as a cause of the allergy and itching, usually the allergy due to it is likely to be chronic in onset then sudden or acute onset. Still the treatment would remain same; oral anti-allergic. Though in long term you may need to get rid of the mold.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Karen