20 Nov 09

Line Break

Author: Dr. Karen (8 Articles)

Patient: hi there , my forearms are very itchy, no rash at all

Optional Information
Gender: male
Age: 33
Already Tried: Calamine lotion

Doctor:

a few questions for clarity:

1) any medical problems

2) any medications

3) any new products (detergent , soap)

4) are your arms exposed to sun?

5) any other symptoms- fever, cough, cold etc

6) are you an allergic type?

7) How long have you had this?

That should do it for now- then I can answer efficiently for you!!

Patient:

1) any medical problems – NO I AM IN VERY GOOD HEALTH

2) any medications – NO

3) any new products (detergent , soap) – NOT THAT I CAN REMEMBER,

4) are your arms exposed to sun? YES

5) any other symptoms- fever, cough, cold etc – NO

6) are you an allergic type? – I WAS AS A CHILD. MILK, DUST ETC.. I JUST GREW OUT OF IT.

7) How long have you had this? FOR 1.5 YEARS , NOT ALL THE TIME THOUGH.

Doctor:

OK
There are many cause of itching- unexplained to us, but there are ways to clarify.

Being a healthy man and not on medication rules a number of causes out.

However, the itching can be a sign of other internal problems- so if it has gone on this long, you need to check in with a doc and get examined. You also need labwork because liver, kidney, blood problems all can cause itching when nothing is on the skin.

Having said that first, exposure to sun can cause itching later in the day- but there is usually some rash that comes and goes.

The most common cause is simply dry skin.

So

1) Try some skin moisturizing lotion daily, see if that takes it away.

2) Get to the doc and have labwork done to check your other organ fuction and make sure all is normal..

3) You can try over the counter antihistamines AKA claritin etc to stave it off, or stop it when a problem.

4) think hard about any new products, or ones you use on occasion to see if there is a relationship ( cream, aftershave, cologne etc)

5) check out this website for further info:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/itchy-skin/DS00847

I hope this was helpful-

Feel free to ask anything else to clarify.

My Best!

Be Sociable, Share!

Filed under: Dermatology Questions - Trackback Uri

12 Comments.

• Assaad Law, PLLC says:

Thank you for posting that information. I found it very interesting.

• sam says:

hello,

Well it’s apparent that the whole point of the health care industry is not to help people get well but to make things worse. There are many good doctors and other who put there heart at what they do, yet there is nothing they can do about it, because the simple truth is , the spider at the middle of the action who controls everything (including decisions) have no such “pure” interests.

• Clarence Close says:

This is a problem that I have had in the past with hard water, soap and bathing which caused alligator skin on my arms. You can try my solution and see if it gets you some relief. In a 1 qt plastic container pour in ~1/2″ of apple cider vinegar and fill the balance with water. Once you are done with your shower, pour the vinegar mix over your head and body, rubbing where necessary, then rinse in the shower and dry off. This seemed to have the ability to acidify my skin from the high pH of the hard water and soap. It didn’t take too long and I felt much better.

• Fotomodelki says:

Awesome. Some of the them are really really good. Thanks for sharing it. Loved it.

• arnold says:

Interesting read

• Paules300 says:

Interesting read! I also have itchy forearms and am almost identical to the first enquiry, and have so for years. I tend to get them immediately after drinking new or cheap red wine. Other times I can’t seem to find a pattern to it.

• Jsand4u2 says:

I have the exact same as the origanal post. But for only about a month and a half some times it even feels like little stings and itches so bad i want to cut my arm off (just want to but wont do that) but I went to the Dr and still havent heard anything back and that is all they did was take blood its so on and off that i dont know what triggers it
    it even wakes me up at night when sleeping

• Jonathan Smith says:

I’ve had itchy arms on and off for a couple of years, found out it was caused by the colour caramel which is found in coke and various other things. Hope this helps.

• mike johnson says:

I have found that my nads itch like crazy after banging this one prostitute I met at a street corner.

• Mike Johnson says:

Neck compression.. try a different kind of pillow or no pillow while sleeping…

• Dan Prescott says:

I also have the same problem as the original poster. My problem only happens on my left forearm. Moisturizers only help a little, or sometimes not at all. Sometimes it feels as my arm is burning. This has been happening for a few years, it seems to have started a few months after I got my last flu shot. Don’t know if that’s related, but I’m just putting it out there. It’s the only thing that I can remember that occurred at roughly the same time.

• shirley davies says:

i have this problem too i find putting my arms under cold running water help but it still comes back when my arms get warm