My question is about the swine flu. I flew to Europe three

Patient: My question is about the swine flu. I flew to Europe three days ago from NYC, an area that has had many cases of swine flu. I am now staying at a hotel. I would like to know whether I should go see a doctor, given the following:
– I have an inkling of a cough in my chest – I’m not coughing left and right at all, but every now and then I feel like I *could* cough. But I can hold it in.
– I don’t have a fever at all.
– My nose is a bit runny, but that’s always the case since I have an allergy.
– I don’t feel weak, no muscle pains, no vomiting.
So basically, my only (semi-)symptom is a little occasional dry cough. Should I see a generalist doctor?

Optional Information
Gender: Male
Age: 30
State/Country: NY
Already Tried: Nothing.

Doctor: Hello,

The symptoms of swine flu are like those of other flus.

These include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, aches, headache, chills and fatigue.

There can be more incidence of diarrhea or vomiting.

Your symptoms of only a little of cough can be an infection which can be an infection from virus or bacteria or it can be an irritation from other cause.

You can have an examination by the general practitioner.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.

Patient: Dear sir,

Thank you so much for your answer!

Just to clarify, unless I have some other symptoms, there’s little chance that I have the swine flu? Also, how long do I have to wait until I can be sure I’m out of any danger of having/carrying the flu (assuming no other syptoms appear, of course)? I was on that flight (i.e., the last place I could have caught the flu) the day before yesterday.

Thank you, again, for your help and understanding!

Doctor: It is considered that a person remains infectious from 1 day before the development of symptoms upto 7 days after you get sick.

What you are having is not typical flu symptoms but the symptoms can vary from minor illness to a complete picture of typical symptoms.